It wasn't fair. That very same day I met Mark for lunch at Mom's house. The three of us sat at the table and chatted. I am so grateful for that, because that was the last time I saw her. But I was in a hurry to get back to work, and I didn't even hug her goodbye. She even said something to Mark about my being in such a hurry. I wish I could do that over again. I would hug her so tightly, and tell her I loved her. I had another opportunity to tell her I loved her that day. She called me minutes before the incident took place. I was in a bad mood, and she had called to express concern over something. I didn't really want to hear what she was saying. I was so selfish! Again I passed up my last chance to say those 3 words. Honestly, minutes after I hung up the phone with her, Valeri called with the news.
These next few weeks I would like to share my thoughts about the events that took place 7 years ago. I want to share what I learned from them, and how they are still helping me today.
I have learned several lessons from this day. I learned to treat every moment as though it were your last. Never hold back the I Love Yous! Who cares if you say it so much? You never know if it will be your last chance. I have learned that "okay" doesn't mean yes. Cameron told me that before the ambulance arrived, people gathered in the backyard to pray. He said as the prayer was going on, he knew that this time the answer would be no. No, we can't keep her. No, she won't be healed. Yes, it was time. I learned that "okay" meant that the Lord knew we would need him, and he would be there. He is still there. And without that, I wouldn't still be here. I am just very grateful she wasn't taken right away. Even though it was very painful to see her lifeless, it was good to see her. It was good to climb in her hospital bed and lay with her. It was good to hold her hand and pretend that she knew we were by her side. I needed some time to get used to the idea Mom was leaving us. I don't have many pictures of her, other than the ones from my wedding. So those are the ones I'll use.

Mommy, I love you!
1 comments:
WOW!! She will forever hold a special place in my heart!! She was like a second mom, but really a first one. Thanks for this, it brought tears to my eyes.
Post a Comment