Saturday, August 16, 2008

Importance of Birthdays

On this day 7 years ago we celebrated my Father-in-law's birthday. Mark and I had only been married 6 months, and I didn't really enjoy Mark's family yet. I was afraid of them. It was my fault, I was shy and nervous. Anyhow, we were at Karin's (Mark's sister) house visiting. Obviously my thoughts were on my mom. It didn't take long before I realized I wouldn't get to celebrate another birthday with my mom. Nor would she be there for any more of mine. As I watched the joy that Marks' family had, I became quite overwhelmed. I ran out of the house and found a place to cry. Mark followed me. Together we sat as I described to him my thought process. The next thing that happened seems quite small, but it was huge to me at the time. My sweet niece Emilee came out with her stuffed Thumper. She handed it to me and told me she hoped it would make me feel better. Emilee has always held a special place in my heart. That night I realized that Mark's family loved me. They were there to support me and comfort me. Since then I have become quite close with Mark's parents. His mother especially. She has taken me under her wing. I love her so much! She always lets me know she is thinking of me. It was VERY hard being at the birthday party that day, but it changed my view of Mark's family, as well as reminded me how important birthdays are. I love birthdays, it reminds me that time is limited, and we must make the best of it.

Happy Birthday Kalevi!!

0 comments: