Monday, August 18, 2008

Family Fast

This picture comes from a book Valeri put together for Mom's funeral. I chose this picture because the events that took place 7 years ago on this date relate a lot to my mom's family. Her family was all together (except for my grandpa who had already passed on) for the first time in years! My mother's family has a lot of issues, and there is so much contention between certain people, but during these days that all seemed to be set aside. We held a family fast that changed my life. I was pretty certain that Mom wasn't going to make it, but the fast offered some hope. In addition, in was a time where the spirit was incredible. We gathered at Dad's house to close the fast with a family prayer. Some of my mom's siblings aren't active or even a members anymore, and to have them there where the spirit was undeniable was pretty neat. I knew they felt the spirit, they knew they felt the spirit. It made me realize that Heavenly Father knows exactly why things happen the way they do. We may never realize the course of events that follow in other peoples lives from experiences such as this. Now, let me be clear that none of my aunts have come back to the church YET, but who knows, maybe someday they will. And if they do, I will believe that this particular incident had something to do with it. It also increased my testimony of fasting. Mom did pass away, but again, I wasn't alone. I think that what I needed more than anything was to know I wouldn't be left to handle this on my own.

0 comments: