August 28th, 2001. I get a phone call at 3 am. It was Dad, Mom was gone. Mark and I dressed in silence, and left for the hospital. We were the first to arrive, greeted by Dad and Grandma who had stayed though the night. My mom looked so peaceful. I don't believe Mom suffered physical pain during this whole process, nevertheless, now she was free. We were free. Free to mourn her loss instead of waiting for her fate. I believed she mourned our loss as well. Although her perspective had changed, she left us all behind. During those two weeks our family pulled together, strengthened each other, drew closer to the Lord. It wasn't over with her death. There was a funeral to plan, a casket to select, etc. Its still not over. We did it together, we do it together. How grateful I was, and still am for the people in my life that make losing my mother a little easier. It is a pain you never plan for, and it never goes away. It lessens, but never leaves. I feel her when I need her. She speaks to my heart. I only hope and pray I am the kind of mother she was to me.
My Great-grandma never let us say goodbye. If we did, she would quickly correct us, "Not goodbye, See you later." Well, thank goodness for our knowledge that someday we will be a family together forever. So, See you later Mom! God be with you 'til we meet again

0 comments:
Post a Comment