Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Power of the Priesthood


What I wish to share today didn't happen on any specific day, but over the course of the time my mother was in the hospital, and some time afterwards. I don't remember how or when I heard it, but I was told that one of my dad's brothers suggested to Dad that he give Mom a blessing and command her to live. What a suggestion! At the beginning I was all for it. That was what the priesthood was for after all right? I know my dad thought about this quite a bit, but in the end he chose not to. I was angry with him, he had this amazing power and he wasn't using it! I was hurt. Didn't he want Mom to live? I knew he did, so why wouldn't he do it? It bothered me for a while, but I continued to reflect on the whole situation. I remember that at one point the neurologist told us if my mom did wake up from her coma, she would be a vegetable; unable to take care of herself. That was no life, especially not for someone like my mom. Although I would love to have her alive, seeing her trapped in her own body, would be heart breaking. I knew this was also something my dad thought about. But beyond this, I realized that Dad had a complete understanding of the power of the priesthood. It is the power to act in God's name, according to God's will. My dad knew commanding Mom to live would go against the will of God. So instead, he had to subject his will to that of God, and watch his sweetheart die. My dad is my hero. He taught me perhaps one of the most important lessons of my life, and he didn't even know it. He was simply doing what he knew was right. My dad has always been a quiet example, but through this experience I realized what a spiritual giant he truly is. How grateful I am for him.

2 comments:

Heidi

Emily- Thanks for sharing such tender memories and lessons you've learned over the last 7 years. You are an incredible woman, I KNOW your mom is proud of you.

Carl and Steph

May I echo that these posts are beautiful. To me, I hear sad, but sweet violin and piano music accompanying each one. I have come to feel that even though we don't say it here on earth, those who have passed on hear it when we express our love for them. These strengthen my own testimony. Thank you so much.